I work with so many “working moms.” But for dads who work, we don’t hear the term ‘working dads.’
Perhaps because many of us understand that if you are a “working mom,” you have two jobs:
- A paid one, where women hopefully receive appreciation, raises, and personal satisfaction using their skills.
- An unpaid job, where appreciation and other benefits are not guaranteed – at least not in my house😏.
I think we all understand how much work it is to be a mom. For those of us who currently have jobs or who have worked outside the home, “outside work” can feel way easier than “working” as the primary parent responsible for nearly everything related to home and family. In this latter role, we often find there are no “clear cut” answers to problems, which can make this job even more challenging!
So this week, as we celebrate International Women’s Day – where ALL women need to be honored – don’t forget to honor yourself.
The Secrets To Being A Good (Enough) Mom
Here are a few uncommon Secrets To Being A Good (Enough) Mom:
- Let Go Of Perfection: None of us are perfect, and it is healthy to show our kids we are not. Our society has unrealistic expectations about what it means to be a “good mom.” We are supposed to be at every soccer game, cook an organic dinner, never raise our voices, and look great while we do it all. Seriously? Let’s show our kids that we can’t do everything and that, certainly, we can’t do it perfectly.
- Ask For Help: We don’t have to do it all alone. The best parenting advice I ever got was: “Hire as much help as you can afford.” If you can’t afford to hire help, ask your partner or neighbor to watch your kids so you can go to yoga or do something you enjoy, at least once a week.
- Give Yourself A Mental Break: Take a moment to realize that we can’t control our kids, spouses, or others. (And, oh, how I wish we could! 😀) If your child refuses to do homework, sometimes the “natural consequence” of a poor grade can be a powerful teacher … or so I have heard.😏
I’d love to hear your thoughts about your secrets to motherhood!!